Saturday, March 26, 2011

Creepy


Excerpt from travel journal: 25.03.2011

En route to Luang Prabang via slowboat down the Mekong. By far the most pleasant transport yet. Last night there was an earthquake. Big deal. Something else far more shocking happened.

Call me a paranoid tourist, but I ALWAYS have my valuables on my person. This is why it came as a complete and total surprise when I went to pay for my breakfast this morning and all of my little cash stashes were gone (I spread it our it my bag to make it difficult for potential pick-pockets). My mind frantically searched for any moment my bag was not in my possession. Did I leave it unattended during the earthquake? No. Did I leave it in the room when I went to the store? No. It was always on me.

Except... when I... was sleeping...

Even then it was right next to my head. Then the pieces started falling into place; the mysteriously unzipped pockets on my backpack by the window, my missing packet of face wipes, my clothes on the ground when they had been left atop my backpack. Ian tried opening the window, it was smooth and easy, virtually soundless. This is where the creep factor sets in.

Someone climbed INTO our room through the window in the middle of the night.

What I don't understand, but am eternally grateful for, is that the thief took the time to riffle through my things, taking the little pockets of cash while leaving my passport and credit cards.

Alright strange bandit, you only wanted my cash and comodyne face wipes. At a loss of 65 USD, 250,000 K, and 1500 B it could have been worse. So... thank you?

No comments: