Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How I Love You

photo by Helga

I love you so completely. I take my heart out of my chest and run up to you, smiling brightly, eyes aglow, and I place my heart in your hands, like a child offering you their most prized possession. If I love you, you hold all of my heart, every last beautiful beating bit of it. It may happen that you need to set it down in order to tie your shoe (it would be tragic to trip and fall), and you may ask me to hold onto my heart for a moment, but I don't know how and I fumble and it falls and bruises badly. You might look up to see the tears welling up in my 29-year-old-eyes. It's not your fault, you are simply taking care of yourself. I must learn how to hold my own heart.

2 comments:

J.G. Francis said...

We should all learn to hold our own hearts. You're awesome!

Reed said...

you hold your heart, and i'll hold your hand. i love you.